Monthly Archives: April 2015

Insulation

IMG_2132

Close-up of insulation on walls.

Scott’s been working pretty steadily the last couple of weeks (thanks to a few relatively quiet days) on the insulation.

He’s using construction adhesive to attach the insulation to the walls. On the walls, this has been working great. He just leans a beam or 2x against the panel to hold it in place while it sets, and they set pretty quickly.


Unfortunately, the panels on the ceiling are taking a little longer to set. To hold those in place, he built several Ts. It’s still working well, just taking a little longer.

The large pieces went in quickly. It’s all the small spaces left that have to be measured and custom that are a little slower going, but I’m told it’s not too big of a deal.

If we were doing this again, and could know in advance, one could put up studs spaced exactly to fit one panel of insulation between each, eliminating cuts except for around electrical outlets.

A note on the outlets: You may notice they’re close to the floor. 18 inches up is code, but you can have them lower if you install GFCI outlets. (I’m no code expert, check your local regulations, yada yada yada.)

Plans for the next week include: finishing the insulation, cutting a hole for the HVAC unit/installing it, and starting on plumbing installation.

A few more pics. Click for a larger image.

IMG_2153

Bedroom ceiling. The small hole is for the dedicated bedroom air conditioner.

The intersection between the kitchen area, bathroom, and bedroom.

The intersection between the kitchen area, bathroom, and bedroom.

We’re covering the walls with cedar board, which I’m going to whitewash. It’s going to be gorgeous! Here’s a link to what I’m thinking: Whitewashing Plank Walls

Advertisements

First Garden

I spent all last week purchasing wood, scheduling dirt to be delivered, and buying a few plants from Home Depot. I’ve ordered some trees (pear and apple) and 6 blueberry bushes from the Arbor Day Foundation that will be delivered…sometime. They don’t say exactly when, which is frustrating.

Last Sunday, my friend Rebecca came over and helped me plant azaleas and hydrangeas. We also screwed together my beds, though in all fairness, my husband had to redo some of our screws. Thanks, love!

Scott got a bee in his bonnet and helped me till, install beds, and haul dirt. We were out until 11pm. Bless his heart, but he also had to spend three hours working on the tiller to get it running. We borrowed it from a family member, and I’m very grateful, because it worked very well once we got it going.

Here’s some pics of the fun:

IMG_2091 2

Before photo. We hauled that wood off and burned it.

IMG_2096

Dirt being unloaded.

IMG_2098 2

IMG_2119 2 Scott doing some tilling. Our dog is clearly accustomed to loud equipment.

IMG_2122 2

After photo from the next morning.

An amusing note: I ordered a load of dirt before we tilled because I was aware most of our space is clay–which of course, isn’t much good for a vegetable garden. Once we started tilling, guess what we found? Some of the only dirt-dirt (not clay) on our usable flat space is right where I wanted my garden; I could have probably done without that load of dirt. Ha.

On Monday, I planted a ton of beets, carrots, chard, lettuce, parsnips, and some marigolds and nasturtiums around the edges of the tilled space. I also planted Celosia Forest Fire along that left edge, to sort of create a barrier between pretty garden and that giant monstrosity of an invasive hedge to the left in the photo.

Next fall, that sucker is coming down.

Those ten beds are 8×4. I’m planting them based on the square-foot gardening method. It seems the most logical use of space. My goal is by next year to be able to produce 90% of our vegetables.

In another week or two I’ll plant some more. Keep your fingers crossed that (most) everything sprouts!

Insulation

Last week, we found closed-cell insulation panels on Craigslist. So, off we went on an hour drive. We bought 1000sf of two-inch foam and 1000sf of four-inch foam–for the low price of $1,000 total! The two-inch foam has an R-value of 16. The minimum required by code in our area is 13, so we’re ahead of the game. The ceiling, of course, should have more insulation, and I think we’re about 3-4 R-levels higher than the minimum.

We’re better-than-required kind of folks. Ha.

We’re installing it by gluing it directly to the metal walls between the framing studs. Apparently it functions as a moisture barrier if used by itself, which is good. Scott is going to put in a couple of solid days on it this weekend, so I’ll post some pics when progress is made.

Here’s a pic of all the foam in our trailer:

IMG_2082

Yeah. It’s a lot.

And, for fun, here’s one of the pile as we were picking it up. Yes, I stayed in the truck and let the dudes load it.

IMG_2079 2

We are leaving the sections that still need windows installed un-insulated. After the insulation is put in, and we get the funds for windows, Scott will cut out the metal where the windows will go, frame and install them, then finish insulating those areas.

Next comes plumbing, installing cabinets/appliances/shower, and then we can MOVE IN! We’re ready, so we’re going to do all the finish work (painting, putting up covering over the insulation, etc) once we move in.